Author Topic: trailer axles  (Read 1344 times)

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
trailer axles
« on: January 09, 2017, 11:46:53 PM »
Thinking about replacing the axles on my twin axle trailer ( and the braked coupling )... Do we have a preferred manufacturer or supplier? I'm after 2 braked axles to take a total of 2 tons, preferably with sealed bearings, but don't know whether to go for the cheaper ones on normal trailers or the more expensive ones designed for marine use?
If you don't know where to start... start somewhere, the rest falls into place.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: trailer axles
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:10:42 PM »
Hi M, I have tried two types, one with sealed bearings and one without. In addition, I tried units with separate axles and integral axles. Ironically, I found that the integral axle with sealed bearings do well. Having said that, the sealed bearings are a real pain to maintain with their special use once nut. It is also a pain (and costly) to change the bearings. It is not a bearing that is easily changed at the side of the road.

I have a trailer with a single axle for a 1.5 tonne boat (for sale incidentally, if anyone is interested) and that is great, but I do not use it in sea water and I use low profile tyres.

Suppliers are the usual Indespension and they will do a little price matching due to the pressures now. Alternatively try Banbury Trailers: http://www.banburytrailers.co.uk/

The MD has been involved in trailers for years and builds his own axles, which can be adjusted for ride height. Mention OSB as he is a friendly dealer and manufacturer, who may do a deal, you never know. Cheers BN
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB