Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1452 times)

Offline knappfarm

• Canoe
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:57:51 PM »
Hi Everybody
I just spent too long writing my first message then when i tried to post it is said timed out, so keep it short, just purchased the apparent Mk1 Continental from ebay last week, ser no 1144, looking for any info along with an engine...what was it and a port and bow jellymould light.
Better go
Regards

mike

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:07:35 PM »
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum, these are some of your comments you sent to me.

Thanks for the response, I realized after your comment that the extra bow and separate port and starboard lighte were probably a Bodensee requirement. Not sure what you mean by the edge of the gunnels is alloy, it has the fender retainer strip all around the edge and we have the original rubber but above that the deck itself including the cockpit sides has all been painted, it is all peeling and chipping now, to be expected, as is the hull, the exterior will not take much removing, not sure how to deal with the interior though as yet.

There must have been a couple of bilge pumps, one forward of the engine bay plus one in the bay itself I presume, like all these things it is finding out what was fitted originally. Presumably your man will know, I do not intend to do anything other than gather bits at the moment but it will have a scrape around the bow to see if I can find the name and date you mentioned.

There are Coventry Climax engines available from the Godiva fire pump but I think they are just over 1,000cc. probably still more power than the 100E which might be a bit on the weak side with 4 up!

The nephew of the owner maintained it had never been painted, I am not so sure as there is overpaint on the windshield rubber and there appears to be two different shades of blue where it is peeling, unless they oroginally used two colour coats and the top one has faded.
The outrigger bearing is phos bronze, I was expecting a rubber one as I remember a cutlass bearing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:12:59 PM by BN »
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB