Author Topic: Simmonds Speed Boats  (Read 14335 times)

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Simmonds Speed Boats
« on: September 13, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »
This is the link to Thumpers excellent web site dedicated to Simmonds Speed Boats and Motor Launches.

http://www.simmonds-motorlaunches.co.uk/index.htm

Enjoy
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Thumper

• Ski Boat
    • Simmonds Motor Launches
Re: Simmonds Speed Boats
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
Thanks BN. Now I really am going to have to add some more to it! I've found a few more historical documents worth uploading, but would welcome contributions from other owners too.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »
I think your site is brilliant and a credit to you and your passion.
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Thumper

• Ski Boat
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 04:49:15 PM »
Thanks BN, although I regret that "passion" is a bit strong. It's guilt really. Owning the original prototype, and currently being in no position to afford to restore it, means I feel duty bound to do "my bit" in any way I can.

Speaking of which, the splendid boat called Sayonara that we had listed as "For Sale" has now found a new home, and for a very realistic asking price. There has also been another fully-restored Simmonds on eBay these past couple of weeks, and that too has now been sold, although not through eBay as far as I know:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190330180766&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1515wt_1086

That has also gone for a good price. Over the last couple of years the value of Simmonds boats has, at last, started to rise a little, in reflection perhaps of a better understanding of their place in the history of sports boats and the quality of their design and construction.

I know, I'm preaching to the converted here, but it does sadden me when I see boats of this ilk changing hands for peanuts. Not that I begrudge people the occasional bargain, but the flipside of the coin is that other boats that warrant care and restoration are then overlooked because people feel they can't justify the investment. Why spend thousands on a boat that's still only going to be worth a few hundred when you've finished it?

The two boats mentioned above both changed hands for several thousand pounds apiece. I can't say exactly how much, but enough for someone else to think of picking up a restoration project and spending a few grand on it knowing there's a chance, one day, of getting their money back.

I'm also a classic car enthusiast (as I know are several other Simmonds owners!) and I've heard several horror stories these past few weeks of perfectly serviceable (and, in one case, almost concours) examples of classic cars being sent off to be crushed under the Government's "Scrappage Scheme". Thankfully, there's no such plan for boats.

Offline flat broke

• Row Boat
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:11:14 PM »
Agreed Thumper,
                           The one on Ebay has been for sale through a broker for quite a while.  It was the most original example (judging from the pictures he sent me) I have seen for some time.  Also it was #109 and mine is #110.  Given the identical constrution and fittings I am guessing they were built side by side?

BTW I am putting together that info as promised.  Well done again on the Simmonds Site.

Tony

Offline Thumper

• Ski Boat
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »
Just a quick update to say that I had an interesting conversation (by phone) with Alan Fawcus this morning, and he has generously agreed to allow me to use some of his written work on the website. As a result I have finally posted a new page with a potted history of Simmonds onto the site, based upon an article Alan wrote a little time ago.

He also mentioned that he'd written a far more detailed article for Classic Boat magazine, possibly in 1992. I've emailed the current editor, who's come back very promptly with an encouraging reply, but no guarantee that they'll be able to send me anything.

So, through the forum, I thought I'd repeat my appeal for any printed material that I could borrow to enhance the content of the site.

If you have any magazine articles about Simmonds boats, or old brochures etc, that you'd be prepared to lend to me, I'd be very grateful. Anything sent will be looked after very well during its brief stay with me, and all I'll do is create scans or PDFs and then return them.

Offline Thumper

• Ski Boat
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »
Over the last few days I've had a very illuminating exchange of emails from someone who was an original member of staff at the Simmonds workshops during the 1950s and 1960s.

He recalls early development work by Donald Simmonds, and the manufacturing of a number of one-off Simmonds "specials", including the Daimler Dart powered boat originally produced for the owner of a company that made stainless steel cookware.

He is trying to trace a few of his other work colleagues of the period, and I hope we'll be able to add a feature to the Simmonds website shortly. He has a lot of first-hand knowledge of the company, and his reminiscences are fascinating.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 10:27:41 AM »
That is great news and it is always brilliant to speak to the 'real' people. Look forward to more instalments.
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline simone

• Row Boat
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 08:46:45 PM »
seems like there is demand for Simmonds screen posts.  Please contact me. I can get these cast in aluminium.  mail pondeep@aol.com or tel 01453 832632.       Cheers, RJP

Offline flat broke

• Row Boat
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 02:17:19 PM »
Here is a link to my facebook site.  If you go to the Simmonds album, there is a collection of pictures I am putting together for Thumper.

Some period shots of my Dad's boat on Ullswater.  Some later pictures of my Simmonds pre restoration. Also a couple of Alan Fawcus in his polished Damiler V8 Simmonds.

Click on Photos.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000009040945#!/profile.php?id=100000009040945&v=photos
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:21:16 PM by flat broke »

Offline Thumper

• Ski Boat
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 02:30:35 PM »
Sorry Flatbroke, but can't see your albums. Must be a "friends only" setting on your profile.

Offline Thumper

• Ski Boat
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 11:18:38 PM »
Does anyone have contact details for Simon Pickford? He owns the only (known to survive) Daimler V8 powered Simmonds. If you do, can you drop me a PM? Thanks.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »
I have sent some details to you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:51:08 PM by BN »
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB