Author Topic: Boat search.  (Read 1006 times)

Offline sailorman

• Canoe
Boat search.
« on: June 29, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »
Hi folks,
 Having spent half a century building, restoring and using a variety of classic boats, mostly sail but including a couple of offshore power craft, I now find myself boat-less and in need of a small project of the type found on this great little site. I have in mind a four/five seat runabout or speedboat, around 15 feet in length, a Simmonds, Healey or Sabena, for example; needs to be all there with a basically sound hull and a trailer. Any suggestions, I wonder?
Alternatively I might settle for a marinised engine, gearbox and drive chain and build the boat myself.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: Boat search.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:05:55 PM »
Hello and welcome to OSB. Usually the boats (as you will know), tend to be sold during the winter months, but there is a potential coming up, which is very rare, but as yet I cannot give details as I am awaiting a price and a current picture.
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 01:51:25 PM »
Hello and welcome to OSB. Usually the boats (as you will know), tend to be sold during the winter months, but there is a potential coming up, which is very rare, but as yet I cannot give details as I am awaiting a price and a current picture.

I have passed on your details to a guy who many have an interesting boat for you. BN
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 02:11:55 AM »
Hi folks,
 Having spent half a century building, restoring and using a variety of classic boats, mostly sail but including a couple of offshore power craft, I now find myself boat-less and in need of a small project of the type found on this great little site. I have in mind a four/five seat runabout or speedboat, around 15 feet in length, a Simmonds, Healey or Sabena, for example; needs to be all there with a basically sound hull and a trailer. Any suggestions, I wonder?
Alternatively I might settle for a marinised engine, gearbox and drive chain and build the boat myself.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!

What part of the country are you in? I have a rather unique one of a kind boat with trailer that i'm not capable of doing up myself and which after 6 years i'm reluctantly considering selling.

Offline sailorman

• Canoe
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 11:22:04 AM »
Hi Tarquin,
I am based in Cornwall. Your boat sounds interesting; any more information, please? Regards.

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 12:14:43 AM »
Apologies for the slow reply Sailorman. Came down with a bit of a bug following a week away and have had limited time on computer.

I'm in Essex!

If you want to Private Message me your email or What's App name,  i'll take a video at the weekend and you can see what's on offer.

In the meantime.......she was sold on Ebay as possibly being a Jeanneau but on contacting their HQ in Paris they tell me not. Very similar to a Glasspar G3, the best guess is she's either a diy build copy or what seems more likely, a production model from the European based company - name unknown - who bought the moulds from Larson Boats in the USA. That may explain the Jeanneau suggestion as well??

I'm fairly certain she's not fully 15' but will get the tape measure out with full dimensions. I won't go into condition but I took off and have kept anything worth keeping.

The trailer - an old Indespension I believe - is worth way more than the boat. Having struggled to find one suitable I rushed into paying over the odds for a proper pig, immediately replaced all 4 wheels and tyres for new. New mudguards, new ball hitch, had all the tube clamps freed, and gave her a lick of paint.

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 01:47:47 PM »
Do you still have an interest Sailorman?

Offline sailorman

• Canoe
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 08:18:42 PM »
Hi Tarquin,
So sorry not to have got back to you more promptly!
I have decided, in the end, to bite the bullet and build from scratch and have now finalised the plans and am in the process of preparing the framework for a plywood skin.
Engine will be a 2.0l ford pinto(already sourced) driving a prop in the conventional manner. The design is unapollogetically old school.
Hope you get a quick sale; sounds like an interesting project.
Kind regards,
Ted

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 01:11:35 PM »
Good luck.....

It will be a reluctant sale if I decide to part with her and as intimated above it's likely that somebody would buy the trailer and scrap the boat, something I am keen to prevent.

Your interest therefore appealed to me.

I'm actually struggling to get a response from the handful of people i've contacted about doing her up. Most suggest i'd be better off buying something, complete with trailer and outboard, on the basis that the cost of renovation will far outweigh the sort of money I could pay for a run-around off Ebay.
This is said without giving any indication of prices or asking what my budget is!

For starters if anybody has any idea as to what sort of ball park money it would cost to rub down, and re-paint a 15' speedboat hull, bringing it up to as new specification i'd be pleased to hear?

That would at least give me a starting point to see if I really am mad to try and re-furbish, but would at least be able to estimate, upholstery, new screen, fittings etc., to complete.

HELP! :)

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 10:08:27 PM »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:18:50 PM by BN »
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 11:16:43 PM »

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 07:19:03 AM »
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 10:25:38 AM »
I contacted Thomas at FWB having seen the job he done on your Mitcham when you first posted it a couple of years ago, but he was just about to take in a large cruiser for a complete re-varnish. We had a second exchange of emails when he was refurbishing a Broom Viking for sale, but as posted earlier, i'm not looking for an alternative.

He may be due another call  :D

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 07:37:11 PM »
I contacted Thomas at FWB having seen the job he done on your Mitcham when you first posted it a couple of years ago, but he was just about to take in a large cruiser for a complete re-varnish. We had a second exchange of emails when he was refurbishing a Broom Viking for sale, but as posted earlier, i'm not looking for an alternative.

He may be due another call  :D
Thomas is good, but the boat he did was the one below. The boat in the previous post was one I did. Tom did the outboard version, I did the jet unit version. Just to confuse, they were the same colour  ;D There is a difference, the OB has a plastic mooring cleat and the inboard has a chrome bow handle.
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 02:45:53 PM »
Hi Tarquin, 
I'm more than intrigued !!  If it's possible to have a couple of low res pictures?  Just to see if a (retired petrol head) friend of mine might be persuaded!  thanks... Mark
If you don't know where to start... start somewhere, the rest falls into place.