Author Topic: One owner Jetstar 520.....  (Read 5549 times)

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
Re: One owner Jetstar 520.....
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 05:47:19 PM »
Did I forget something?  ???
If you don't know where to start... start somewhere, the rest falls into place.

Offline Admbeattie

• Row Boat
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
We really can't wait until next season, I even plan to take the boat to France for a similar family holiday to those of old.

Pleasingly, after having the carb serviced, new impeller, oil change, new fuel and points with cleaned sparks the V6 fired straight back to life and sounded great! Fingers crossed for a brief sea trial this weekend, subject to Met in Bosham.

I'll post a photo or 2 if we can get out. The hull is looking good, but many of those scratches are too deep to polish out. We're going to ponder the next course of action over the winter. The lake next year is certainly a  headmark....

Will.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »
We really can't wait until next season, I even plan to take the boat to France for a similar family holiday to those of old.

Pleasingly, after having the carb serviced, new impeller, oil change, new fuel and points with cleaned sparks the V6 fired straight back to life and sounded great! Fingers crossed for a brief sea trial this weekend, subject to Met in Bosham.

I'll post a photo or 2 if we can get out. The hull is looking good, but many of those scratches are too deep to polish out. We're going to ponder the next course of action over the winter. The lake next year is certainly a  headmark....

Will.

That is great and I hope all goes well. The deep scratches can be sorted and I am sure there are some good gel repairs people in the Bosham area. You are so lucky to be in the location your in  :)

I used to launch at Hayling Island and coast all around that area and loved it. I should have moved there.
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Admbeattie

• Row Boat
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 03:02:59 PM »
Oh no....run for 2 mins, water in the oil.....

Likely to be an engine out job, spoke too soon on that sea trial....

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 03:07:52 PM »
Is it a sealed cooling system on the Jetstar?
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Admbeattie

• Row Boat
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 03:36:43 PM »
Yes  - on the fresh water side, as it uses a heat exchanger cooled by the salt water from the jet unit...

Going to check the inlet manifold pipes before going to far.....

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 03:39:21 PM »
Hopefully it is not major  :(
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 11:09:19 PM »
Bugger !! is the coolant level lower? if not could be intercooler, but as the oil is under high pressure in there, it's less likely to come back into the engine as the raw water is only low pressure  :(.  Never mind, the head gaskets are quite literally a dodle !  ;D Mark   

Offline king

• Canoe
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 08:06:50 PM »
Hi I'm Wills father having just joined the site and I'm hoping that someone can give me a bit of advice. After a few preliminaries we fired up the engine and she started easily - no nasty noises! We only ran for about 45 sec but the dipstick revealed that there was water getting into the oil - not raw water but from the closed circuit. Rather than mess about I decided to take the engine out and give it a bit of a refurb. First question can the engine be removed with the rear bulkhead in place? Second question how is the engine mated to the jet unit? There seems to be a uj coupling on the back of the engine fly wheel largely obscured by a fairly substantial cover which seems to form the rear engine mounts. On the coupling there appear to be two big bolts and two smaller ones the latter attached to the engine fly wheel do I need to undo them all? Or just two if so which two? Your advice would be gratefully received.
Regards to all
Robert

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 07:23:47 AM »
Hi Robert and welcome to OSB. I am sure AlanR and Mark will be in touch soon. There are more and more Jetstar owners coming to the forum, so you will get a lot of help, advice and support.
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline alanr

• Ski Boat
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2017, 10:37:34 AM »
Hi Robert,
Please let me have your email address and I will send instructions on how to remove the engine.
I will also include parts diagrams to make it easy for you.
 AlanR

Offline king

• Canoe
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »
That would be really helpful Alan. My email is (BN e-mail deleted to stop scamming of your private mail. I have sent your e-mail to AlanR by messaging  :).
Many Thanks
Robert King
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:02:34 PM by BN »

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 09:47:39 PM »

Offline king

• Canoe
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2017, 08:35:40 PM »
Thanks Mark - That's very helpful and well worth knowing. What did you use to lift the engine out with? I don't think a normal engine lift is going to have sufficient height to lift the engine over the gunwales with the boat on its trailer.
Kind regards Robert 

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2017, 10:28:01 PM »