Author Topic: Almarine spitfire  (Read 944 times)

Offline Peegreen

• Row Boat
Almarine spitfire
« on: March 11, 2021, 03:03:47 PM »
Hi every one my name is matt thanks for letting me join your forum I live in scotland and own a almarine spitfire by the name of dommino some of your members might know her. I am looming for information about new transom help would be great again thanks to all for having me peegreen aka matt

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: Almarine spitfire
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 07:40:23 PM »
Hi Matt, welcome to the forum. I guess you found my web page, then my forum; www.oldspeedboats.co.uk first?

I have Mitcham Marine Spitfires, one inboard and one outboard, which are featured on the main web with a little bit of practical help to restore them. I really like the MM Spitfires, because my jet version is something else. You may have noticed that the Spitfire, whilst designed and built by my friend John Neate, was the predecessor to the Almarine range of boats.

Are you on Stuarts Almarine lovers site? All the best BN

1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Peegreen

• Row Boat
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 08:06:48 PM »
 Thanks for reply does this mean the spitfire is not made by almarine ifso who made them my one has rotten transom and I am trying to get info on how to set about repair.no not on stuarts page how do you find it

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 08:26:24 AM »
There is an Almarine Meteor (inboard jet) and an Almarine Seafire (outboard), but not a Spitfire.

The Mitcham Marine Spitfire came in both outboard and inboard engine with jet unit. The Mitcham's were made and designed by John Neate in the 1960's in Mitcham Surrey. Take a look at my website: http://www.oldspeedboats.co.uk/history-of-mitcham-marine-2/

The Almarines were built in Diss, Norfolk with John Neate in charge of the boat section of Alma Components a computer company. He together with Alma developed and built the Almarine. If you take a look at this link again on my website you will see a section on the stern: http://www.oldspeedboats.co.uk/almarine/

This is not the best way to repair the transom, but if you contact Ian at Coging Motorsport: https://www.cogingmotorsport.co.uk/ he will help.

Both the Mitcham and the Almarine suffer from stern rot, but that is not unusual with many boats, but it is a critical issue.

I hope that helps/ BN
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Peegreen

• Row Boat
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »
Thanks bn got hold of john lovley helpfull bloke he gave me alot of info just contact him for help. What plywood does members recomend for transom build it will be 9mm. Marine ply or is thare a better ply for job. Thanks

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 07:42:30 AM »
I would contact Ian from Coging Motor Sport: https://www.cogingmotorsport.co.uk/ Ian is another good friend and he repaired his in a different modern way. Go to his site and give him a call and mention OSB. You will find it hard to get a better 'fibre' man than him.

I repaired mine with ply and regretted it, so I had to add a stainless steel plate over the transom and down the stern. I can now pick up the boat from the transom only with a JCB jaws, but weight is the negative. Ian used some form of fibre honeycomb system I think. BN
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Peegreen

• Row Boat
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 06:28:03 PM »
Hi bn spoke to ian gave me info on transom he used marine ply on his build so now I just have to order materials and get it done. Matt

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 07:14:51 PM »
Hi bn spoke to ian gave me info on transom he used marine ply on his build so now I just have to order materials and get it done. Matt

That is good news, I thought he used a glider system of strength? All the best BN
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Peegreen

• Row Boat
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 04:20:43 PM »
 Bn what is a glider strenth system cheers

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat