RESTORATION & HISTORY > BN's MK1 Dowty/Hamilton Jet Restoration Project

At Last I Have A Dowty (photos may not be visible to none regisitered members)

(1/46) > >>

BN:
I am now the proud owner of a Dowty Turbo Craft. It will be fully restored and as near to original as is possible. I do need a steering wheel, so if there is one out there, please let me know.

The picture is of the Dowty yesterday on collection from Rob. He looks sad, yet has a half smile, thanks Rob, watch this space, it will be a slow start, but get quicker as it all comes together, but first it all has to come apart and a new trailer.

(sorry about picture quality, mobile phone)

I will also build a section in the new site for Dowty.

I have just located and purchased a spare engine for the boat, so progress will be made.

For non registered members, the vital pictures will not be visible, register now.

BN:
Stage 2

Now I have a second engine  ;D. It was a military unit that drove a generator  :o, but it turns over and appears to be quite sound, time will tell  :-\. The plan is that I at least have donor parts and the engine can now be rebuilt. It will be stripped down, checked, new parts installed, then re assembled and shot blasted. Following all of that, it will be painted in the original green  :D.

The original unit with the boat I think is OK, but at least with a spare I have security with such an old engine.

Picture attached.

BN:
The engine turns over by hand, not sure what condition it is in yet inside, but that is the next quest if I can lift it. It appears to have been an ex military unit to drive a generator, are there any ex military engineers out there who can give me a clue as to what it is and its true age.By the plate it could be 1965, which is a better engine than the 1959 that the boat age is.

There is a brass plate on it with:

For use with electric servicing trolley
AM Ref 4/F4257
?R Ministry reference No 42AK/1050
Contract No CTS/INE447/447/AC14B1
Contractor Houchin Ltd Date 10.65

BN:
Spare engine stripped down now and appears to be reasonable, at least it turns over. Next is to open the sump, which has oil in it and see what the ends and small ends are like. I now have a normal manifold for a Zephyr 6 which will be for sale soon and a carburettor, plus some ex military bits, which I have no idea about.

After that it is engine removal time from the boat, subject to weather conditions and my flu bug I seem to have acquired, then strip down of boat. What has surprised me is that when I switched on the navigation lights, they all worked.

BN:
So the engine is down to basics and it is useful to have a trailer with a canopy to work in. I can take the engine where I need at any time. Pict 1

The exhaust and inlet manifold have been removed and yes I have a new Dowty Manifold, just how lucky is that, they must be as rare as hens teeth. Pict 2
Notice the difference.

I will play with the carbs, but the smaller one is on its way out as I favour the bigger one. Pict 3

Finally, I tried to track down a set of gaskets for the complete overhaul. I found a full set in Australia, then New Zealand, but then in good old Milton Keynes, so sorted so far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version