Author Topic: New member Hi all  (Read 570 times)

Offline ZIPPY 111

• Canoe
New member Hi all
« on: September 16, 2022, 09:33:02 PM »
Hi just joined your forum as I have along history of boating. I am in the process this winter of restoring my fathers Fletcher 150 Arrowsport  with a Johnson 115hp. She is a 1975 model which dad bought in 1979 and we had good use for years unfortunately she has been layed up for 20+ years. I am an marine engineer by trade working in a boat yard and have full use of all the facilities to bring her back to life. Have fitted a new floor now preparing for a re-spray back to Rescue Orange a good 70's colour
This looks like a quiet site at the moment but we are seeing more retro boats in the workshop this year

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: New member Hi all
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 09:28:40 PM »
Hi and welcome to the friendly forum. We are tiny, but the people on the site are mostly enthusiasts, restorers or owners of classics. Someone like yourself is always welcome and interesting to hear from.

Your comment about classics and the rise in your workshop of them, does give encouragement, but then most collectors and restorers are simply passionate about their lovely speed and motorboats here of course.

I had a Fletcher 150 some years ago and I really liked it, wish I still had one. Where are you based, because it is always good to let members know if they want repairs etc.

Enjoy the site and accompanying web at www.oldspeedboats.co.uk
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline ZIPPY 111

• Canoe
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 04:58:11 PM »
Hi, I am based in Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire UK
We have another retro boat in the workshop now 1970's Glastron with a Gold Metalic deck like the one used in James Bond film.
New floor, new engine/drive and new Gold flake spray job, cool boat. Going to seatrial this one in Budgie smugglers  :D

Offline ZIPPY 111

• Canoe
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 05:27:34 PM »
Just an update, engine now removed and starting to strip down for painting.
Old floor removed and new ply floor fibreglassed in. As you can see from the photo she is far from the original Rescue Orange colour

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 10:04:19 PM »
Ahhh, good old painted on names.... so nostalgic ! I have had a couple of Fletchers, the last one was a 15 with an ex MOD Johnson 130 V4. I swore it was factory black, but after a call to Fletchers, they said they never made one.... ever !!  It  chine walked for England & I had to sadly move on....   :'(
If you don't know where to start... start somewhere, the rest falls into place.

Offline Donovan

• Row Boat
Re: New member Hi all says Donovan
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 04:02:41 PM »
Hello
I'm new here, living in Switzerland.
A friend showed me an old boat 4 months ago in an industrial area that was waiting to be scrapped. It hasn't been moved in 40 years.
It is now in my garage box and is being restored. It is most likely the only existing Dowty Turbocraft Mark II here in Central Europe. The first registration on the boat license is March 1, 1960.

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 10:44:05 PM »
Hi Donovan, With the Dowty's there are a bit like a watch! precision engineering in the jet drive & just a box of nuts & bolts in the engine!  BN has restored one to within an inch of it's life & once done it runs like a Swiss watch! (sorry BN it had to be said).  A very worthwhile project, please post lots of pictures as we all love them, especially in the 'too cold to boat' season!  Good luck.... Mark
If you don't know where to start... start somewhere, the rest falls into place.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: New member Hi all says Donovan
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 09:11:40 PM »
Hello
I'm new here, living in Switzerland.
A friend showed me an old boat 4 months ago in an industrial area that was waiting to be scrapped. It hasn't been moved in 40 years.
It is now in my garage box and is being restored. It is most likely the only existing Dowty Turbocraft Mark II here in Central Europe. The first registration on the boat license is March 1, 1960.

Hello and welcome to the site Donovan. Well done for rescuing one of my favourite boats; and it is great that you are going to restore it. I have to say, they are not the easiest boats to get back on the water in great working condition, but when you get there, you will not be disappointed.
The boats were over engineered, made very precisely and very expensive in their day. If you go to my main website (this is the link this site: http://www.oldspeedboats.co.uk/dowty/  ) you will find some data that may assist. As enginuitytriumph (a very accomplished engineer) said, it is like working on a 'Swiss watch' with heavy industrial tools. You will find some history of the marque as well on the website.

If you need any help, just ask. The best of luck to you with the restoration work  :) BN
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB