RESTORATION & HISTORY > Almarine-Mitcham Boats

BN's - Mitcham Marine Spitfire

(1/11) > >>

BN:
Having just purchased my little Almarine Spitfire, I need to decide what year it is and why it is different from many. First it has all its original paint, yuk yellow. Then the deck is the same as the first models, but it has a jet unit  ::)  The jet is as it was built a UA built in Sheffield, so it is not a Meteor. I think it is a 1973 (ish) model and was one that was built to try out. I have two Rotax engines with it, but the previous owner who had owned it for over 17 years, decided to put in a Yamaha moped engine :o I plan to rebuild and reinstate the Rotax.

At the moment I am trying to get the trailer to work for the weekend, but new wheels, suspension units and bearings are required. I am also making some better temporary supports. Later, I plan to make an alloy trailer for it. Boy does it look small beside the Dowty's  :o

Below is a sad little Almarine in Sweden, described as an American built boat  ???

BN:
OK, so this is a quick fix for tomorrow. New suspension fitted, but will then be removed and go onto new trailer. Bow support to stop the boat bouncing all over the place. The gel is original and so is most of the boat. I think it is about 1973/4?

BN:
I have just received an e-mail and the wording is:

"It is lovely to hear from a fellow Almarine enthusiast, although strictly speaking your boat was not made by Almarine, but by John Neate's company prior to his partnership with Alma components and their new company of that name".

I had a feeling my boat was a little special, so now I have no choice but to restore it properly, because it could have been made by the designer Mr John Neate, prior to 1973  :D

BN:
Because I always build trailers to put my boats on before I restore them, I am going to try something different this time. I am going to build the trailer in stainless steel  8). I have worked out that a 50mm box section is actually stronger, but lighter than the same in mild steel, basing it on its strength and wall thickness. Additionally, I do not have to have it galvanised, so it will be maintenance free, novel but possible. It is also going to be cheaper than a normal trailer as a result. This is only possible on small trailers, so it may only be a one off. It has to be tried anyway  ;D

BN:
Now this is what you call a flying boat. One of the first Almarine Meteors driven by the inventor John Neate. This is a real flyer.

Also the stainless steel trailer I am making. This is the tackup stage, but I must admit, my stainless welding is not that good, so now I have tacked it, a friend who is a professional will weld it all together solidly. The whole trailer is less than the weight on one axle unit and has cost the same as a normal one when galvanised. The only maintenance will be wheel bearings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version