GENERAL CATEGORY > Register of Classic Speed Boats

Albatross Alpine (Slipper Stern) Number 2002

(1/2) > >>

Tatra Man:
I've agreed to buy this one which has been languishing on a front drive for 22 years. She appears to have the original trailer but has been butchered somewhat to put a Ford engine in. When I get her home, I'll add some photos.

BN:
Well done, another one saved.

Tatra Man:
Well she's back. The old trailer just about survived too! Only the box section strut at the front which the bow rests against failed but what do you expect for a 51-year-old box section!? The jockey wheel just made it but fell off when manoeuvring.

She's now parked with her sister, 2003, for the first time in 51 years.

I say "sister" but they're by no means twins. She has the ski hole in the back of the front seat which 2003 doesn't, there's no starting handle hole in the back of the back seat, the ski-pole/lifting strut is shorter below the deck and has less rivets and the sides are spliced at the rear of the engine bay which 2003's aren't.

The obvious major difference is in the engine hatch hump but all is not what it seems. Closer examination reveals rows of rivets which have been ground down and which lead me to believe that she once had a wider hump running almost the full length of the engine cover - possibly similar in style to that on 2003 which appears totally original.

The current hump looks to me like the later design and appears to have been taken from a scrapped Alpine or supplied by Albatross. I doubt Albatross fitted it though as it's bolted on rather than riveted and the fixings aren't the type Albatross used.

BN:
I have come to the conclusion that we are all mad, why do we restore these boats?
Maybe because it is our history, they are in their own way beautiful, well made for their ages and we are proud of it and that we have a sense of achievement once finished  ;D

Well done you merry band of restorers.

Tatra Man:
Are P-brackets often made of rust?

2003:-

2002:-

Now what inspired someone to do that!!!??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version