Author Topic: 60s Fletcher V172 with inboard Jaguar straight 6  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Rob

• Canoe
60s Fletcher V172 with inboard Jaguar straight 6
« on: October 24, 2021, 10:11:29 PM »
Hello, to all
My name is Rob, and as lockdown started I needed a project. I bought a very old Fletcher with as I found out, a very old Jaguar engine inside.
   I know very little about the boat, found out a lot about Norman Fletcher as I've surfed the net.
The engine is/was a 3.8 S type, but with the wrong cylinder head, very SIEZED.
The cylinder head was from a XK140 engine, and once removed worth a lot of money, which I sold and now had funds to push on with project.
   The 3.8 ( what is left) was oversized by 20 thou on big ends and pistons, so not really worth a rebuild.
   The hull is sound, but transom is very soft, and will need replacing.
   I have another boat to get my fix, FAIRLINE Targa 33 with twin diesels, keeps me busy as well .
   I'm an electrician by trade, but like to think I can turn my hand to anything, and my friends are all very boat build,fix,maintain orientaded as well, which helps.
  I live in Southampton 10 min from the sea, which is a big bonus.
Thanks for now, will need a lot of help and advise.

Rob

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
Re: 60s Fletcher V172 with inboard Jaguar straight 6
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 10:42:29 PM »
Hi Rob, how very interesting !!! I never knew Fletcher used a Jag lump! It's not ideal unless it's running an intercooler to keep the raw water away from that alloy head, but who knew??
 I have a couple of contacts if you need the machining done on the engine & again if you want it rebuilt, but if it is raw water cooled then please consider an intercooler, it might save a lot of hard work, all too soon down the line!
  Please can you post some pics? I've never seen one & would love to see it!
Mark
If you don't know where to start... start somewhere, the rest falls into place.

Offline Rob

• Canoe
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 08:14:25 PM »
Hi
Really struggling to upload pictures, which is a shame I have hundreds already!
I just wrote a piece, tried to upload picture, picture size to big, wouldn't post,and I lost everything I wrote >:( >:(
Please help, there must be an easier way, and the letters and questions!!! Do they have to be completed every time I post something!
Rob

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 09:13:17 PM »
Sorry Rob, I should've warned you! pics have to be really low res, I don't understand the ins & outs of it, but the way I did it was to email the images to myself & chose the lowest resolution.  I'm sure that Brian will help as soon as he can as he's managed the site for ever!  Mark

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 07:21:33 PM »
Hi
Really struggling to upload pictures, which is a shame I have hundreds already!
I just wrote a piece, tried to upload picture, picture size to big, wouldn't post,and I lost everything I wrote >:( >:(
Please help, there must be an easier way, and the letters and questions!!! Do they have to be completed every time I post something!
Rob

Hi Rob and welcome to OSB. The reason pictures are small is that when I started the forum, I only had a small allowance of speed and data. It has therefore continued in that way to keep costs down.  I still only have 0.9mb of a speed, so helps me to keep it all going for free.

If you get Fotosizer (it is free) and you can reduce any pictures: https://www.fotosizer.com/Download

Re advice you have the best person assisting you, enginuitytriumph. Fletcher did a few special orders and Jaguar was one, but whether yours is a genuine Norman Fletcher special, it would be almost impossible to say now.

Fletcher as you may be aware are still going, but under new owners. They can be found at
Head Office
Hambridge Mill
Hambridge
Somerset
TA10 0BP

E: info@fletcherboats.co.uk
T: +44 (0) 1458 552 255

I knew Fletcher when they were in the Midlands and Norman had his model shop, before he built full size boats.

Brian
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Rob

• Canoe
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 11:01:09 PM »
Hi
Sorry if that came across a bit angry, it's nice that a site like this exists.

Will try the options on sizing photos at the weekend.

Thanks

Rob

I'm really glad I can share what I have with genuine people that are interested.

Offline Rob

• Canoe
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 02:23:17 PM »
TRIED SENDING SOME PICTURES FROM WORK, LETS SEE.

Offline Rob

• Canoe
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »
YES they uploaded, so i know now how to do it.
 well this is it, need to upload more pics.

You can clearly see the 1964 S type XK engine, this was seized solid. I learnt that this had wrong head and have sold it. Not worth re building due to it being oversized already on pistons and mains.

I have a picture of Norman Fletcher, on  i pad, in a V172 in black and white ,racing the boat on a lake, when the stern caught fire, try to post next time.

I have googled V172 until im blue, but struggle to find any pics the same. There was a V130 on for sale not long ago, and even in the sale description the V172 is mentioned. Looks similar but no where near the same as it was an outboard.

Would be really grateful if anyone has any info,

Rob

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 10:48:48 PM »
Hi Rob, well done !! it's a bit of a pain, but well worthwhile in the end! Wow that's a project, looks not dissimilar to mine when I started  :-[ It was running an intercooler, it has a header tank & I think the intercooler on the port side with the bottom hose going to it.  Do you have another engine? Your right selling the head, but on some of the more desperate engines we're going to -70 thou on the cranks if needed  :o    However, a 4.2 should be easy enough to find & reasonably priced.   I'm hoping Brian knows more about the actual boat as I've seen the hull shape, but never with the Jag lump!  Mark

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 09:00:27 PM »
Hi
Sorry if that came across a bit angry, it's nice that a site like this exists.

Will try the options on sizing photos at the weekend.

Thanks

Rob

I'm really glad I can share what I have with genuine people that are interested.

Hey, no problem, we are a happy bunch  :D
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 09:18:58 PM »
The Fairline Targa was a nice boat and considering it was built in Oundle (middle of England) near me and tested in their special swimming pool, they are great. They were then low loaded to the locations, bizarre location to build such boats.

Re the Fletcher, I know the shape and boat, but do not recall a Jaguar engine in one. SBS Trailers took them over and I know there were some employees still there a few years ago who were ex-Fletcher employees. I used to go to Macrome Road often for spare parts. I actually have a model boat mould made by one of the first Apprentices.

Why not try contacting them at: SBS Trailers Ltd, Macrome Road, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, WV6 9HD, which was the old Fletcher boat manufacturing factory. They might just have some spares still? Tel 01902 754 133 and e-mail sales@sbstrailers.com.

Hope that helps? BN
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Rob

• Canoe
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 08:08:11 PM »
Found this News Paper article about Norman Fletcher with reference to a V172.

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 10:09:08 PM »
Hi Rob, I'd love to read it, but it's too small & it blurs when expanded  ???  Do you have a link for it?
Mark

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 09:24:38 PM »
Hi Rob, I'd love to read it, but it's too small & it blurs when expanded  ???  Do you have a link for it?
Mark

I tried to download the extract, but it is an active page which flips over, but it can be found at: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/12056620/24-hours-to-go-powerboat-archive

BN
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Rob

• Canoe
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 08:30:44 AM »