Author Topic: Engine for Belton Speedbird (Albatross wooden clone)  (Read 7606 times)

Clanger

Engine for Belton Speedbird (Albatross wooden clone)
« on: October 03, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
We're after a marinised engine for our Belton Speedbird, which is basically an Albatross made from wood ... we understand they were originally equipped with a Ford 100E engine similar to the Albatross.

We are hoping to bring the boat back to life, any ideas where we might get an engine plus fittings or does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks in advance!!

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: Engine for Belton Speedbird (Albatross wooden clone)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »
Try 'Small Ford Parts' in Happisburgh, Norfolk. They may have used engines and certainly have 100e recon engines and parts. Also try Albatross Marine and ask for John, he is a friend of the forum and has 100e engines.
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline captain caveman

• Canoe
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »
Were you succsessful in finding an engine for your Speedbird?
I am currently putting a Belton Speedbird back together, mine has had a 1600 crossflow engine inplanted. Just having engine rebuilt and the marinisation completed as the previous owners left it with a standard manifold.
Some plywood is needing repaced around the bows and the top deck is a write off. But the frame is sound. Work ongoing.
What do you know about these boats. I found mine in a wood and traced the owners who gave me a bit of background but not much.
She has not been in the water since 1990.
I am interested about your rebuild.

Clanger

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:53:43 PM »
We do have a lot more information on the boats now. We're certain it should have a Ford 105e engine in it, but at the moment it has simply been re-painted for some Marine events we do ... the boat is owned by Teamac a paint company based in Hull. We know there was a range of three boats, the Seabird (2 seater), Speedbird (4 seater) and a Thunderbird (a V8 powered speedboat). All the boats were built within the space of 4-5 years in the late fifties, early sixties. They are very rare, I think the total numbers built were approx. 30 Seabirds, 10 Speedbirds and maybe 3 Thunderbirds. The firms owner died suddenly and he really was the heart and soul of it, which put an end to the company. I do have some original photos, if you're interested ... the son of the owner found us on the web and gave us a lot more detail.

We need an engine and probably a new deck for sure, but I'm hopeful that one day we will launch her again!

Thanks for the interest ... the Teamac website www.teamac.co.uk or follow this link http://www.teamac.co.uk/marine-paint-blog/restoration/belton-speedbird.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:45:54 PM by BN »
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB