Author Topic: Finishing top coat on wood!  (Read 4192 times)

Offline mr speedy

• Motor Boat
Finishing top coat on wood!
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:27:50 PM »
My wooden boat has been finished in International Paint, because the finish was imperfect due to dust I have flatted it back, I now wish to apply a cream colour as opposed to the brilliant white and wonder if I should use any kind of sealer/undercoat before the finish and if so what?Many thanks for help MS. :'(

Offline richjar

• Canoe
Re: Finishing top coat on wood!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:47:32 PM »
Hi,
If the existing paint is in good condition ie, not flaking, peeling or in generally poor condition then sand with 280-320 grade wet and dry (used wet). An undercoat should then be applied (yacht primer) it is easy to sand to get a smooth finish and allows a better colour when the top coat is applied. If filling is required it should be primed, filled, primed and them undercoated. If the existing paint is flaking then all the old paint should be removed and primed, undercoated and top coated.
Note, if the existing paint system is 2 part then it can be overcoated with either two part or one part but if the existing one part them it cannot be overcoated with two part.-(the chemicals in the two part will reach with the existing one part paint finish). If the hull is dimensionally stable (eg marine ply) then one or two part can be used, of hull is not dimensional stable- like carver or clinker, then one part paint only, as its more flexible. Go to an International paint stockist and pick up a free "boat paint and product guide" all the paint manufacturers do a booklet, they have the same information in, but just say to use there products.
Depending on the finish you are looking for depends on the amount and different grades of sanding and between coat sanding you do.
Make sure to remove all sanding debris out of screw holes etc and go over with thinners and then a tack cloth.

Offline mr speedy

• Motor Boat
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:08:09 PM »
Thank you for advice, I was surprised to find that the information CD supplied by International Paints is not compatable with AOL, I was given the lastest version V2006 but is useless as I am on AOL? wonder who else supplies such a CD? I have purchased International Pre-Kote, but as some parts are almost down to wood on transom should I again use the silver coloured primer for bare wood? thanks for now, Mr Speedy

Offline richjar

• Canoe
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 10:47:32 PM »
Hi not sure why you cant open the CD information, All the paint manufacturers have a painting/product guide, (International, Blakes, Epifanes, Veneziani, etc). They all have the same information but just say how good there products are- as you would expect.

If you are down to bare wood then you need to use a primer first before the undercoat as the Pre-kote can only be used on primed wood. If there is still some existing paint that is in good condition then undercoat and topcoats would work. The existing paint would need to be in good condition though as the whole paint system is only as strong as the weakest coat of new or old paint.
Cheers Rich

Offline richjar

• Canoe
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 01:18:09 PM »
One of the boat painting books that I have is "How to paint your boat" by Nigel Clegg. I think it is the best book available. It tells you not only what, but how to do each step as well as going into as much detail as you want to go to for on all the different paint varieties, substrates and techniques, etc.
You  can get a copy direct from the author from his website at, http://www.passionforpaint.co.uk/ and go to the catalogue section.