Author Topic: Greetings from an Essex newcomer...  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
Greetings from an Essex newcomer...
« on: July 15, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »
Hi All,

A newcomer in every sense of the word having taken delivery of my first boat yesterday afternoon.

I'll try to add a photograph or two at the end.

She needs work to get her looking right and i'd welcome some advice as to what I can, should, could do to overcome a few issues within a reasonable budget whilst retaining the best bits and not moving too far from type.

For starters, she has no name and i'm told it's unlucky to change but i'm now confident that she was previously known as the Batboat and can be seen in that state on another classic boat forum.

I'll start a thread under general and keep you updated with the progress.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: Greetings from an Essex newcomer...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:51:11 AM »
Hi and welcome. The Jetstar is becoming a very popular boat and now a classic obviously. Brave to retore and new to boating, but the bug bites  :D

I am sure you will get a lot of help here, so get stuck in and lets see what happens. BN
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »
Thanks BN.

Is it definately a Jetstar? Having Googled I can see the likeness but have found nothing identical.

Sold as being of French origin, possibly a Jeanneau.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
I did not know Jeanneau was ever connected with Jetstar, but interesting.
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:55:34 AM »
But is it a Jetstar. It has a regular transom and no sign of any change so has never had a jet engine.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
I have to admit, it is not doing it for me as a Jetstar, but I have been wrong before and could be now  :-[

Attached is a clip from Pathe', who have been kind to us, so look on their News pages (link below) and seek out Donald Campbells Jetstar, which went into production in 1968 after his death.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/donald-campbell-speed-boat-aka-water-jet-propelled
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »
Thanks for the link............makes me feel old, Saturday Morning Pictures and all that! ;D

Mine has an outboard well and  a different hull shape but I can see similarities.

I've e-mailed Jeanneau in France with a photo to see if it was on of theirs and have had a reply saying it's been forwarded internally for an answer.

If it is i'll be painting her white, putting a flybridge atop and a cocktail cabinet in the back! :D

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »
Or a sail midships as they also make yachts  :o
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 12:14:45 PM »
Having owned this hull for 8 years now i'm hoping to start restoring her to her former glory, but before doing so i'm still desperately trying to find out what make she is?

I believe it's design origins come from the Glasspar G3 a US based manufacturer, who around 1960 sold the European manufacturing rights to one Arne Larsson who opened a shop in Aloose Belgium. The resulting collaboration producing the Fiberfleet 100.

For any number of reasons i've dismissed the Weedo GT, another boat that at first glance looks very similar but the 'V' of the hull carries through to the stern, whereas my boat flattens out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBY2t3UE3R8

Everything is pointing to her being a prototype, possibly using a Glasspar G3 hull with an original top deck.

I'll try to put some more photographs up shortly.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 01:50:30 PM »
If you have a good picture of your boat, our AlanR worked for Donald Campbell and can identify most of the Bluebird boats. The Weedo which I have never heard of, looks like a Plancraft? The bows of a lot of boats had the 'flattish' configuration.
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 11:32:43 AM »
I've tried to add more images several times before, but without success? I can upload but previously they haven't appeared.

Trying again now :>)

Got it. The main 'Martini' pic is a few months before I bought her. The BatBoat a previous incarnation.

I'd really like to find out who has owned her over the years. My research points towards Scandinavian origins, Sweden, Norway or possibly even Finland!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:42:04 AM by Tarquin »

Offline Tarquin

• Row Boat
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 11:45:36 AM »
These were taken a couple of weeks ago and show a little more detail.

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 07:56:27 AM »
It certainly looks like the Bat boat, but I have no idea. Anyone can put decals and slogans on a boat, but I must say, I doubt if it is a Bluebird. Did you contact AlanR via personal mail?

Re pictures, please download Fotosizer, it is free for what we need and only about 20$ for the professional version and that is a one off payment for life. I use it all the while: https://www.fotosizer.com/

1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Papa Shrek

• Administrator
  • Row Boat
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 04:35:46 PM »
She's got some serious potential :)

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 08:11:00 PM »
Unfortunately it cannot be the real 'Bat Boat' because Glastron (USA) built the real one. Yours has some serious sponsons on it though  :o
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB