Author Topic: 60s Fletcher V172 with inboard Jaguar straight 6  (Read 1914 times)

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
Re: 60s Fletcher V172 with inboard Jaguar straight 6
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 10:23:04 PM »
it's a bit like the Rouen 24 hour race, all a bit mad !!! But I would love to try & stay awake & do it!!!
If you don't know where to start... start somewhere, the rest falls into place.

Offline Rob

• Canoe
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2022, 07:14:08 PM »
Hi
General update of project.
I’ve acquired the Jag 4.2, sent bottom end and CH to the shop, they have completed their work. So I can now start to re build engine. Lots of parts to clean and paint.
    The transom is slowly being dismantled from the inside, it is absolutely rotten!!
It seems there was a layer of ply across the whole transom, and then beefed up to 2” thick mid ships where the VP 270 transom attatches. It’s a slow process as I don’t want to go at like a bull in a china shop, in case I cut out something I may need.
     I removed the original “ Fletcher Arrow “ 3d plastic logos from each stern quarter, unfortunately due to age and UV they have broke into 2&3 parts respectively. I shall either preserve in a box, or attempt a repair/renewal process. I’m good with most things but not brittle plastic. Lol. ::)
    I’ve estimated 200 hp from the Jaguar engine, with the inlet manifold and Solex carburettor from the CVRT tank engine the J60. I was amazed after research how many different applications the Jag XK engine has done over the years.
    A lot of reconditioned Jag XK engines, polish all the aluminium parts, I’m unfortunately having to etch and paint all the parts, reducing corrosion. Can’t be having all that white corrosion over it once I get it near the water.
     So that’s me for now.
Rob

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 11:42:19 PM »
Unfortunately you're right about engine corrosion !! You have to cover everything in paint as it finds any tiny gap & expands almost instantly :o 200hp should give you a very good turn of speed to say the least!  You could try & get the plastic logo's copied & 3D printed? Or even a simple sand cast aluminium?
Anyway, I'm sure you've got plenty to get on with, good luck!  :D

Offline Rob

• Canoe
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2023, 06:10:09 PM »
Hi
Been a while, what with Covid and all that….
Bought a 4.2 litre jag engine to replace the 3.8 ( I will rebuild at some stage).
4.2 wasn’t running that great in the donor car when I bought it, so have stripped and rebuilding currently.
It is/was fuel injection and I do have all the injection and loom, but I have decided to go old school with carburation. This engine was used in 80s mini tanks !!! I know have the inlet manifold and downdraught carb that goes with it.
So engine side of things I’m getting there but very slowly.
The boat itself I’ve know removed all the SOAKED flotation boxes in the rear, and the SOAKED ply from the transom from the inside ( as I don’t want to disturb the outside). But other than that, not a great amount has happened with the hull itself.
I have though re built the trailer, bit of welding,new clamps,jockey wheel,and winch and with a new coat of paint, she looks great.
I now know I definitely have a V 172 Fletcher Arrow.
I’ve got a 60/70s Fletcher brochure from EBay ( there are still some left!)
It has all the early models on it,and there is a part picture of the V172;on it with the steering to Port and in the green interior that I have, say had as it was ALL rotten. But at least I can see what it should look like.
We are moving house as well so unfortunately the Fletcher project does take a back seat, but when I am doing bits on it I really enjoy it.
Thanks
Rob

Offline enginuitytriumph

• Support Members
  • Ski Boat
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2023, 11:25:46 PM »
Hi Rob, it sounds like you're making good progress considering. I hope you stick with carbs, the fuel injection is great, but lots of automotive wiring / ecu's & stuff that really isn't marinized. I learnt that with the Essex V6 stuff, all the proper marine manufactured bits are great, but when it comes to car based  :o  I used a new Weber 38 carb & within 3 years the Spanish made aluminium was rotten beyond salvation & every year a new alternator until I got a proper marine one.  If I learn by my mistakes, I'm getting a good education! 
Keep up the good work & look forward to some pictures!     Mark