Author Topic: Jetstar 520 non jet  (Read 1040 times)

Offline ChrisB

• Row Boat
Jetstar 520 non jet
« on: July 07, 2019, 10:24:19 AM »
After much thought and having a recent health issue I've come to the conclusion re-building my jetstar which I have owned for some 30+ yrs is never going to happen   :(

So before I let the ravages of the likes of e-bay or faceache market place take hold of her I'd pop a note here first to see if there is any interest ?

The Jetstar is an odd one as its never seemed to have a jet drive but instead had a mercruiser leg fitted some details when I asked about this can be found here https://forum.oldboats.online/index.php?topic=1002.30

Its very much just a bare hull these days, no engine, no leg (but has the mercrusier transom bracketry), no interior as to speak of as its all long since, the gel coat has crazing and cracks on the top deck areas, I have the two fibre glass front seats but again are just the moulds, the rear seat base mould but no seat or rear sundeck as these have long since melted into obscurity.

It does come with a fully galvanised replica of its original 4 wheel trailer, well I am fairly sure its what the jetstars game with. The one that the boat came with rotted away as it was just painted, so we hand built a new one to almost the same spec as the old one but this time had it galvanised and rather than the two skids each side we put rollers on it.

The trailer could do with some finishing because it still needs its mud guards fitting and the snubber at the front, we also never got round to fitting the brake cables etc, mainly because it only ever really got used for a launching trolley rather than roading anywhere, but I do have all the cables etc to finish off the brakes.

To be honest I think the trailers the best bit  as unless you are very brave the boat needs real dedication.

I'll try and sort out some pictures but at this stage just thought I'd dip my toe in the water to see if there is any interest ?

Its located down near Portsmouth on the Southcoast.

Cheers

Chris

Offline alanr

• Ski Boat
Re: Jetstar 520 non jet
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 09:12:53 PM »
We only built one based on the 520 model and it was fitted with a BMW 130 engine and outdrive.
I remember we exhibited it at the Earls Court Boat show circa 1974 and it had a blue and white hull
with possibly a blue top deck. Performance was 5 mph slower than the same engine in a 520 with
a Castoldi 05 jet. There may be others that customers fitted out themselves as we built a few
hulls and decks but not many.

Alanr

Offline ChrisB

• Row Boat
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 06:42:12 PM »
Hi Alan

In the other post you mentioned that there was also a Mercruiser version as well ?

Its definately a bit of an odd one mine, once I find enough energy I'll dig it out and take some pictures, theres a short video of it somewhere when she was in the water but I'm blowed if I can find that currently ??

Chris

Offline alanr

• Ski Boat
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 10:46:16 AM »
Hi Chris,
The only mercruiser engine we fitted was coupled to a Castoldi 05 jet.
We made a few hulls and decks for home completion and possibly
yours is one of them.

Alanr