Author Topic: Spitfire 9 FT speedboat  (Read 649 times)

Offline Nick Booth

• Canoe
Spitfire 9 FT speedboat
« on: January 07, 2021, 01:31:12 PM »
Hello i have an old 9 ft Spitfire speedboat, the body work is ok. Has steering wheel, seats and visor, however the large trim going round the boat has fallen off can i buy this or is there a strong glue? Also can anybody help me what engine and size would work, also no throttle lever and attachment, so needs some information on parts for it, also the best paint to use on a respray Thanks Nick

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: Spitfire 9 FT speedboat
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 09:05:56 PM »
Hi Nick, The Spitfire is a lovely little boat to restore. Is it the inboard or outboard? The safest is about 25hp, but if you have a 4 stroke, they are far heavier than the 2 stroke.

Re the rubber fendering, Walker Rubber in Norfolk are brilliant: https://www.walker-rubber.co.uk/

If you have not seen it, this is the link to my Spitfires, both inboard and outboard: http://www.oldspeedboats.co.uk/spitfire-restoration-inboard-2/

On the main web, you will see my restorations are rebuilds of the boats. The steering is pulley and cable for the outboard, but I converted mine to 'push/pull.

Take a look and ask when you have seen the ideas on the main web. BN
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Nick Booth

• Canoe
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 08:01:01 PM »
Hi i haven’t done any work to my Spitfire for years and would really love to get it going and leave for use in Norfolk, it needs a fair bit doing to it there no throttle lever but cables, i was just wondering if there is anybody who does these little boats up,
 I also need an engine for mine, i can send photos if needed Thanks  :) :)

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 09:10:30 PM »
Hello Nick, my apologies for the late reply, but I went blind suddenly overnight a while ago but my Ophthalmologist has helped me through it thank goodness.

There is nobody that I know who restores them other than me now. There was a guy in Norfolk, but he gave up on them. I take it that you have a Rotax engine and jet unit on yours. The jet is easy to restore as is the hull, but the Rotax is a problem, because parts are simply no longer available. I was lucky, I found a old but never used original unit in Yorkshire. However, I do have two  others, which are restorable if you have a pretty good workshop. There is an 'however' again, the electrics are just not available now either.

If you go to my web: http://www.oldspeedboats.co.uk/spitfire-restoration-inboard-2/ you will see almost all that you need to rebuild yours, whether is is inboard or outboard.

Attach a picture, but you will have to reduce it as I have cut down the pictures sizes due to costs as I solely support the site. Use the free Fotosizer software to reduce.

All the best and I will always help if I can, but age is beating me a bit now  :'(

1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB