Author Topic: New member hello, and boat ID search  (Read 568 times)

Offline Mfletcher

• Canoe
New member hello, and boat ID search
« on: September 03, 2019, 10:06:06 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm painfully new to this whole world, but it's a dream of mine to one day own a speed boat of some kind.

Bear with me whilst I explain...
There's a place I've gone walking in the UK over the years, where there are a bunch of derelict boats. One of which is the following speedboat...

https://imgur.com/a/BGjfdOa

I've done as much research as I can as an inexperienced person to work out what it is...From the labels on board it seems to be a Shakespeare /Fletcher boat with a BMW engine. It's been left to the mercy of the tides for quite a few years now - I think getting on for ten or more.

Would it be worth me going through the effort of identifying the owner (hence why I've obscured the registration numbers for now) and trying to purchase and restore this boat? Would it be worth it? Would it even be possible?

Is anyone able to identify the boat a little better?

Thank you for your time, and hello! Depending on how this goes, I may be hanging around. :-)

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: New member hello, and boat ID search
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 07:15:41 PM »
Hi and welcome to OSB.

The boat can either be a Shakespeare or Fletcher, not both. If it has a BMW engine it is not original to the best of my knowledge as both used standard Ford or Mercruiser units. But in the boat world, anything can occur if a customer orders it from new. The boat looks more Fletcher to me.

If the boat has been subject to tides it must also have been subject to saltwater abuse. To restore a boat such as that, a considerable amount of time will be used and also a fair bit of money.

Think carefully with a project like that one, but should you go ahead once you have located the owner (if you can), then the best of luck and we will assist as much as we can. BN
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:18:03 PM by BN »
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB