Author Topic: Instant Trailers  (Read 861 times)

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Instant Trailers
« on: May 11, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
OK, so I am bored by being trapped in home due to the Corona (COVID-19) virus.

At least I have a garden, thank goodness, so it is time to change things, but not the garden, not my strong point. I had an old box trailer which to say the least was little old and 'dodgy', so remake time for it again.

I bought the trailer at least 25 years ago and it has done some stirling work, but its time had come for new axles, tyres and wheels. Picture 1 shows the super strong axle arrangement I made to carry my Zephyr 6 engine around in when rebuilding, so that was at least 9 years ago.

Picture 2 shows mod 3 when I placed the tub on another trailer I made to carry my lawn tractor, but the tractor has long gone, so I decided to put the 'tub' of the old trailer on the tractors trailer. That was at the beginning of COVID.

It looked dreadful, so it had to be changed again. Off with the tub and bend up some galv sheet steel 1.5mm and stick it onto the flatbed trailer. That is much better as you can see. I have to finish it off, with lights and other little bits, but it will carry a gross weight of 750kg. However, all these were made from scraps around the house and well I never, I have found some braked suspension hubs to take it up to a nice 1 tonne, so change 'whatever' will take place soon.

BTW, the flatbed was made from old pallets, scrap steel box and some used suspension units I had knocking about. Had to modify the axles as they were imperial.

Boy has it been a therapy because i cannot go boating and they are all ready now  >:(
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: Instant Trailers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 02:22:16 PM »
OK, so I knew that you would like to see the end result, so here it is.

Everything has been recycled, even the lights were washed with washing up liquid to bring back the sparkle. This is my COVID-19 rehab trailer to stop the 'lock down' trauma of despair, not being able to get out and about in the sun with one of my boats  :(

Should I spray it grey ???  ::)
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: Instant Trailers
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 11:23:10 AM »
OK, so I knew that you would like to see the end result, so here it is.

Everything has been recycled, even the lights were washed with washing up liquid to bring back the sparkle. This is my COVID-19 rehab trailer to stop the 'lock down' trauma of despair, not being able to get out and about in the sun with one of my boats  :(

Should I spray it grey ???  ::)

I have decided to simple 'clear coat' the cut edges as the sheet is galvanised. Cheap fix I know, but easy, because after all it is a work trailer and made from scrap and left overs to keep me sane during lock-down.
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB