Author Topic: Hey guys, new member here with an old, purple Spitfire  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Purple Spitfire

• Row Boat
Hey guys, new member here with an old, purple Spitfire
« on: October 22, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »
Hi guys, so to cut a long story as short as I can, here is a bit about the little spitfire I have:

So about five years ago, I used to hear stories about this little boat that my uncle owned. When we started working together, he used to talk about this insane 'Spitfire' and how nuts it was to use. So naturally, I then hassled him until he caved in and said I could have it. He then told me that it hadn't seen the light of day for about 15 years, and that it used to go on the sea. It was currently sat in his shed covered in dust, but he did assure me that it turned over...

Wehn I got it back I covered everything in WD40, but it was clear that this boat needed a bit of work. The steering is on a drum and had unwound. There were no fuel lines, the control cables were connected, but seized. Then engine turned over but had no spark. The original front handle/cleat had been broken, and the seat cover was intact, however all the buttons had corroded and broken off. It also lacks a screen too.

Bang in the middle of the dash is a small (and very faded) sticker that states that the boat is a spitfire, made in Diss, Norfolk. I can't remember what the rest of it says but I'll get a photo next time...

I did some research on the engine and found out that it's one of the late Kiekhaefer-Mercury outboards made in the late 60's. It's a 350 (35hp). I concluded that the stator plate wasn't getting a good earth and needed to be cleaned up. In the meantime, an ad came up on Facebook for two more/less complete outboards, both 350's. So, after a 3-hour drive, I came back with said outboards. I figured they're just that rare now, it was a no-brainer even if they were just for parts. Turns out that one of the engines has never seen saltwater, it also had a spark...

In the pictures, the outboard in the photos is said engine. The swap was instant. I freed-off the cables, and rigged it up to a self-made fuel line. I also fixed the steering too. The stop switch wasn't there, and the other one fell to bits when I breathed onto it. So I sourced a cheap one from eBay and wired it in. I got everything in place for the engine to run and be used on the water too. If you look in the pictures, you can also see that at some point, the transom has been reinforced with what looks to be alloy. It takes the weight and hasn't failed yet.

The engine fired on the second pull. The water pump kicked in and started flowing. At this point it was only on the trailer, muffs-on. It appeared to rev-up well, so I figured to go for the gamble and launch the boat. The first few pictures are from after the first test, it went well, however I couldn't get it to run 'flat out', nonetheless it didn't die. It took on about 2/3 litres of water in about 20 mins, so I clearly had a problem there...

Since then, some holes have been patched, the old 'Mercontrol' box has been taken off, and a new twin lever one has taken its place. The fuel tank cover has been waterproofed, along with three new Cleats, and an oil change. I also bought purple rope to suit the boat, alongside fresh purple paint.

It really does go like stink. Not for long, as I suspect air in the fuel lines (fuel starvation). It kept going and was still a blast to use. It only took on about 500ml too, in the hour or so that I had it on the water for (I can live with that).

Hopefully the next pictures I put up will be with a decent paintjob, and a fixed fuel line. I think I can make a screen (With thanks to Brian on material choice), and for the sake of it, I will also fit an old-style speedo. The trailer needs a bit of work, but again, nothing mega. I might also make a good engine out of the spare two and use it for saltwater. This current motor seems too good to be true, so I'm not taking any risks.

It's a long read, but I figured anyone into these boats will appreciate it. And I'm sat at work typing this, so I look productive whilst doing it.

https://imgur.com/a/cSbJYQm

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: Hey guys, new member here with an old, purple Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:08:38 PM »
Great story and like many small classic speed boat owners, it is only when they are driven they realise the power and thrill they give. Not only that, they are easily towed, launched, driven and manoeuvred.

Take off and pullout is phenomenal  :o  ;D that is why I love both my Spitfire outboard and Spitfire inboard jet. The OB is a 'pocket rocket' and the jet boat an awesome boat to throw around. I love them.

Thanks for the story  ;)
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Purple Spitfire

• Row Boat
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 07:36:31 AM »
Thanks!

The current mission (besides prepping it for paint) is to look into the best Prop pitch for the OB. The 350's went up to about a 13" for a 12ft boat, that I'm assuming weighs a decent amount... With a bit of research from last night, I reckon I could go up to about a 15/17" pitch? Theres no weight to push, and I'm pretty sure it can go a little faster  :P

Has anyone toyed around with props before? I reckon BN probably has?  ;)

In terms of fitment... I get the impression that Merc OB's have stayed the same all these years, is that true?

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 08:59:51 AM »
Hi, the principle of props is to maximise bite without cavitation, so length of OB shaft is as important as the prop. Then it is whether you want power for speed or pulling. With a 35hp OB and the 9' 6" boat a 35hp 2 stroke should take a course pitch which should pull you out rapidly and move along very fast. Better brains than mine could work out the actual speed, but it will be fast. I use a 3 blade course pitch prop with my 20hp Honda 4 stroke, which weighs a lot more than your Mercury I suspect and it flies. Not only that its pull out time is phenomenal  :)

One important point, ensure your steering is tight on the transom and adjust the steering tension if fitted, because at the speeds the little rocket will reach, it is important  :o
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Purple Spitfire

• Row Boat
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 09:55:51 AM »
So what's classed as a 'course pitch'? I doubt I'll ever get the other half to ski behind it haha! The steering is on one of those double-spring fittings, because it used to be a little too slack. I'll try and remember to take a look on my prop tonight. I hope it's about a 13", because that means I could consider something headed towards a 20"  8)

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »
So what's classed as a 'course pitch'? I doubt I'll ever get the other half to ski behind it haha! The steering is on one of those double-spring fittings, because it used to be a little too slack. I'll try and remember to take a look on my prop tonight. I hope it's about a 13", because that means I could consider something headed towards a 20"  8)

Should have stated clearer, by 'pull out', I meant the boat with just passengers on board, not skiers. You will need a finer pitch for good skiing, which the boat is able to do.
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB

Offline Purple Spitfire

• Row Boat
Finished Product!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 02:25:43 PM »
Hey guys,

So an update on the Spitfire,,, It's finished! Well, for now anyways, I might source a lighter engine, and a screen in the near future, but for now it's back up to scratch. Hopefully there's quite the difference between my first pictures and this one, so let me know what you guys think! I've also attached a picture of the original sticker too, and hopefully I can find someone that can make me up a new one. Also, the fuel door isn't on in the pictures, but it's purple too, with a spitfire logo sticker in orange from a triumph.

Side note: This was my first time spraying anything, and it's all done with aerosol cans  8)

https://imgur.com/a/oS00MFx
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 02:27:56 PM by Purple Spitfire »

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 06:41:41 PM »
Hi, the boats looks very good now and what a change  :D

Re the Spitfire decal, you will not get one of those at all, because in all the Spitfires I have owned and seen the sticker has been lost or damaged beyond repair. Please keep the picture you have, because that is history for sure. Mitcham never put a decal on the boats like your, only Classic Moulds.

It might go against the grain after so much work, but if it was me, I would seal in behind some clear plastic, because as I have said, it is unique, which makes the boat unique.

A lighter motor will do you well as the boat will not sit so low in the water for the first point, the second it will give a better pull out with the correct prop.

Well done  :) BN
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB