Author Topic: Spitfire Stickers  (Read 551 times)

Offline Purple Spitfire

• Row Boat
Spitfire Stickers
« on: December 19, 2019, 04:48:48 PM »
Hey guys,

For anyone that saw my last post, I included a picture of the original Spitfire sticker, mainly for preservation, and in case it's of any interest.

Well, I've had some new ones made. Attached is the link to see what they look like, and I can get more made if needed. Mine is preserved under the reproduction one, as peeling it off might have ruined it... Hope you guys approve!  ;D

https://imgur.com/a/NbEOMuu

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • OSB Founder
Re: Spitfire Stickers
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 08:25:46 AM »
Hi, I like the sticker, but don't forget that the original Spitfire was NOT designed or produced by Classic Mouldings, they simply bought the moulds at a very cheap price when Mitcham amalgamated into Almarine when it closed in 1978.

The originator of the Spitfire was John Neate with the help of Colin Chapman (yes of Lotus) and was based in Mitcham Surrey. The site is now a Halfords store for those who know Mitcham town.

John started building fibreglass assemble your self sports cars with his father, then went onto the boats.

John found himself in a bit of bother with Triumph Motors over the name and use of 'Spitfire', but he eventually sorted the issue out with Triumph and that is how he used the original Triumph Spitfire sports car metal decal. Classic Moulds was actually as far as I understand, not authorised to use the decal, hence the sticker. which was a copy of the decal anyway.

These stickers should not be placed on the 'real' Spitfires that John made, which was about 10 years before Classic bought the moulds.

Its all history and long gone, but so few real facts are known and it is important the 'detail' continues  ;) I am in touch with John, so the details are correct as accurately as we can be.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 08:28:32 AM by BN »
1953 Albatross
1958 Dowty Turbojet
1965 Mitcham Jetboat
1968 Mitcham OB