Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
New Members Say Hello Here / Re: Spitfire 9 FT speedboat
« Last post by BN on March 15, 2024, 09:10:30 PM »
Hello Nick, my apologies for the late reply, but I went blind suddenly overnight a while ago but my Ophthalmologist has helped me through it thank goodness.

There is nobody that I know who restores them other than me now. There was a guy in Norfolk, but he gave up on them. I take it that you have a Rotax engine and jet unit on yours. The jet is easy to restore as is the hull, but the Rotax is a problem, because parts are simply no longer available. I was lucky, I found a old but never used original unit in Yorkshire. However, I do have two  others, which are restorable if you have a pretty good workshop. There is an 'however' again, the electrics are just not available now either.

If you go to my web: http://www.oldspeedboats.co.uk/spitfire-restoration-inboard-2/ you will see almost all that you need to rebuild yours, whether is is inboard or outboard.

Attach a picture, but you will have to reduce it as I have cut down the pictures sizes due to costs as I solely support the site. Use the free Fotosizer software to reduce.

All the best and I will always help if I can, but age is beating me a bit now  :'(

New Members Say Hello Here / Re: Spitfire 9 FT speedboat
« Last post by Nick Booth on February 28, 2024, 08:01:01 PM »
Hi i haven’t done any work to my Spitfire for years and would really love to get it going and leave for use in Norfolk, it needs a fair bit doing to it there no throttle lever but cables, i was just wondering if there is anybody who does these little boats up,
 I also need an engine for mine, i can send photos if needed Thanks  :) :)
Boats Wanted / Re: Moonfleet Wanted, Silver Shadow or Aquila
« Last post by BN on February 04, 2024, 12:53:39 PM »
Sorry to hear about your tendon right at the beginning of the boating season. I have done the same a couple of times and it isn't funny.
Where are you based Craig, because meeting any restorer is a great privilege to me. Take care and get better ASAP.

Ian is a great contact for the Moonfleets. Her is also a very fine musician.

All the best Brian
« Last post by Craig on February 04, 2024, 10:58:49 AM »
I must make the effort and go see you Brian or maybe you have a boat you fancy testing over our way, you would be very welcome. I will let you know when I get the old boat done, a snapped tendon has slowed me down but back on the go now. Mostly home trying to get all the jobs done so we can have some fun this summer!

If your friend is the chap in St. Neots, I have seen his website and he is obviously a brilliant, highly skilled craftsman! that would be a great visit!

Best Wishes, Craig
New Members Say Hello Here / Re: New member owner of a Simmonds ski boat in Spain
« Last post by Daniel on January 17, 2024, 07:18:26 PM »
I spoke to them and they referred me to you. The hull of the boat is completely made of aluminum, it has a 1703cc Ford Consul engine mounted with two 40mm double-mouth Weber carburetors for each mouth. The complicated thing is the lack of information about the transmission ratio and diameters, pitch, etc. of the propeller. It would be helpful to know this data to manufacture one or find a replacement for machining its original shaft. thank you
New Members Say Hello Here / Re: New member owner of a Simmonds ski boat in Spain
« Last post by BN on January 17, 2024, 08:10:59 AM »
Hi and welcome Daniel.

By far the best contact is 'Thumper' who is a friend of ours and runs a great website:
http://www.simmonds-motorlaunches.co.uk/index.htm

I know a bit about Simmonds speedboats, but he is the expert. Which model do you have, the Alloy of Fibreglass hull version and what engine is in it?

If I cannot help I have a couple of other contacts who might be able to help. Best of luck BN
Simmonds Boats / help restoring Simmonds ski boat
« Last post by Daniel on January 16, 2024, 03:48:35 PM »
Hello, we are in trouble finding several parts and measurements, our boat is incomplete, the propeller shaft support is missing and also the propeller itself, can you help me with the measurements? propeller pitch measurements in general to be able to order one. thank you
Glad you made it here & welcome !! I'm sure there will be someone to help, there usually is depending on your problem & their skillset  ???
New Members Say Hello Here / New member owner of a Simmonds ski boat in Spain
« Last post by Daniel on January 15, 2024, 09:01:31 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm very happy to find a group of people who love old speedboats. I'm from Madrid, my eldest daughter and I are currently restoring a Simmonds from scratch. I hope you can help us with some information that we do not have. thank you very much in advance.
« Last post by BN on December 29, 2023, 09:12:15 PM »
Hi Brian, sorry for the delay in reply! just about hanging together so all good thank you!

I have looked at Ian's Moonfleet many times in admiration a totally first class job of a beautiful boat, stunning! The one our family owned was similar colour scheme but was the Silver Shadow with ford V6 the boat holds such great memories from the 70's. Unfortunately after my father sold the boat to Scarborough water ski club it caught fire whilst refuelling and was totally destroyed. I will make contact with Ian if only to see if it is possible to view his boat sometime!

Currently I have the very first Craig Craft built in 1985 and will be restoring it (well it is on my to do list!) Please keep doing the great work Brian your website brings back many wonderful memories, thank you, Craig

Sorry for slow reply, Festivities got in the way  ;) Thank you for your kind words, comments like that is what makes me keep the site going.

I would love to see your Craig Craft, are you still in the US or back in the UK now?

It would be good to catch up if you are in the UK. In addition there is another friend who lives near your part of the world and he builds and repairs Rivas. If they interest you, we could always meet at his works and look at his fantastic boats and have a chat? Brian
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10